RECORD STORE DAY
Record Store Day 2020 "Drops" Aug 29, Sept 26 and Oct 24!
RSVP to our facebook event for complete updates- and we'll see you then!
Update 8/1/20- STAY SAFE AND CELEBRATE WITH US! We will be S O C I A L D I S T A N C I N G for this record store day! Most of what you love about RSD will remain exactly the same- you can still tailgate, doors open at 9am, we'll have two dedicated registers for RSD purchases, free coffee from Poughkeepsie Grind, Ice Cream from Ben & Jerry's of Madison Ave in Albany from 11-1p with a donation to charity, and of course store-wide sale. To ensure the safety of our friends, customers and staff we will be enacting social distancing protocols- MASKS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, maintain social distance (please respect your neighbors waiting in line), we will have a dedicated entrance and exit, only TWO CUSTOMERS allowed to purchase RSD titles at a time, and we will only allowing limited capacity inside.
Update 4/29/20- RECORD STORE DAY IS SOCIAL DISTANCING! Since 2008, Record Store Day has grown into the world’s largest single-day music event, shining a light on the culture of the indie record store across the globe. In 2020, that world is different, so Record Store Day will be too. RSD is now scheduled to be celebrated with special, properly distanced release dates on Saturdays in August, September and October. Record Store Day will look very different this year, but supporting indie record stores may be more important than ever. No one knows what kind of party we'll all be in the mood for, or able to hold safely, at any time this year, in any part of the world. We don't know what sort of rules will be in place, or what sort of gatherings people will be in the mood for this year, so we're focusing on the music and getting the really great titles on the RSD Official List this year into the stores and into your hands, in the most financially and socially responsible way.
RSD DROPS August 29, Sept 26 and Oct 24! The titles on the RSD 2020 Official List, launched on March 5th, will be released at participating record stores on one of these three RSD Drops: August 29th, September 26th, and October 24th. The new version of The List, with newly assigned RSD Drops dates will launch on June 1 so check back here for a look at when you'll be able to pick up the titles on your RSD 2020 wishlist at your local record store. Similar to previous RSD, we will post our menu of everything we will have in stock right here LATEST the night before, and all items will be first come, first serve. See the complete list at recordstoreday.com now!
See the RSD list below and Join our E-Mail List to get the menu of available titles sent right to you before RSD!
Twice a year we take a two days to honor independent record stores and our favorite physical music format! Record Store Day and RSD Black Friday take place annually on the third Saturday in April and Black Friday in November, respectively- and we take the day to give back to our amazing customers and celebrate with food, live music, sales, giveaways, and of course the exclusive, limited-edition releases.
But don't take our word for it! Here's info straight from Record Store Day...
"We work year-round to shine a light on the independent businesses in your local community that sell you records and other things that make you happy, make you smile, make you sing, bring you comfort, bring people together... So we work with labels, artists, managers and distribution companies who feel the same, and put together a list of titles for that season that are available at participating record stores." Read the whole thing here!
RSVP on facebook for updates, exclusive offers and more!
The list of special releases is below, in a Website form where you can search and get more information, and a PDF that you can print out and use as a Wish List or Shopping Guide. There are three categories on our list: EXCLUSIVES: These titles are physically released only at indie record stores. RSD FIRST: These titles are found first at indie record stores, but may be released to other retailers or webstores at some point in the future. SMALL RUN/REGIONAL LIST: These titles are either regionally based and sold at specific stores, or are press runs under 1000, which means they may be harder to find at record stores around the country. (If a title is regionally based and is not available throughout the country, it will say that in the description. The majority of titles on this section of the list are there because they have a limited run.)
Every year we create something special, fun, and memorable for all our guests. Here's some of what you can expect:
- WE OPEN 9AM! Previous years have seen a line- so plan ahead, dress appropriately, bring a snack, have a tailgate party- we do have a dedicated parking lot with room for all and a port-a-potty! Please respect your line neighbors (and our neighbors!)
- THE MENU! We'll have the largest selection of the exclusive vinyl releases in the Hudson Valley. We post our menu of available titles before RSD on our site, facebook, and via our email list so you can see everything we'll have in stock, and fill it out for easy ordering!
- TASTY TREATS! Enjoy free coffee in the morning courtesy of Poughkeepsie Grind, and ice cream from Ben & Jerry's of Madison Ave in Albany (with donation to charity)!
- WIN PRIZES! We're raffling off great prizes including vinyl test presses, with all proceeds going to a local charity. Plus meet the folks from the DCASPCA who'll be onsite with puppies you can pet and give donations so you can help some animals in need this season.
And when things go back to normal, here's some stuff we've done in the past we can't wait to offer again...
- FOOD! We've had amazing eats and gourmet Fried Chicken and Waffles from G$'s Chicken & Waffles- see the facebook event to see what kind of grub we'll have this year!
- BEER! Relax and enjoy a local pint while you shop or hang! We'll be serving up some locally-brewed suds!
- LIVE MUSIC! Catch some free live music all day from great local & touring acts! In the past we've welcomed Y La Bamba, Today is the Day, Songhoy Blues, Sun Voyager, Valence, A Low Glow Ire Dawn, Wall Of Ego, Mike Hamel, Ciarra Fragale, American Film History, Cold Hands, showcases from WRRV's Hudson Valley Homegrown and O Positive Festival, and DJ sets from DJ Perly and Sleptembers!!
- FUN! There will be fun- meet the folks from 92.7 & 96.9 WRRV, take a photo with athletes of Hudson Valley Horrors Roller Derby (and learn how to join), and more!
RSVP on facebook for updates and all the latest details!
Complete Guidelines for Record Store Day/Black Friday at Darkside Records
Record Store Day is always an exciting time of year! Twice a year – on the third Saturday of April and Black Friday – record labels and artists come together to offer an array of exclusive, limited edition pieces to independent music stores across the country. Most of these releases are extremely limited in nature – with some pieces only having a few hundred pressed. While we LOVE being able to bring you items like this, the nature of the situation does make it so we have to put some guidelines in place. Some of these are our own personal store guidelines, while others are rules that we must agree to follow in order to even be allowed to stock these pieces for you.
- All titles are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- No phone orders.
- No holds.
- No Preorders. But you can fill out the Darkside Dream Phone to let us know what you're interested in!
- One copy of each title per customer.
- No later than the night before RSD we will release what we call our menu with every exclusive RSD item that we have IN STOCK. The menu will also include the retail price of what each item will be. If a title that is slated to come out is not listed on the menu, then unfortunately we do not have it. Why would this happen? We place orders for virtually every Record Store Day release, but because of the limited availability of the releases, record labels & distributors sometimes have to allocate because every participating RSD store in the country has ordered it too. Sometimes we get exactly what was ordered, sometimes it's a little less, sometimes it means we don't get any. We won't actually know what we're getting until the boxes show up. For example, if something is limited to 500 copies nationwide, but 1000 stores order it, then only half are going to get to stock it.
- We operate on a line system. The earlier you get here, the closer you will be to the front of the line. All the special releases are organized behind our counter (this keeps everything orderly & smooth. No trampling or pushing & shoving on our watch!). There will be multiple registers running so you can take your time at the register deciding on which titles are for you! When we open, the line will be directed to the register area and you will “place your order”. Then you're free to browse all the awesome sales & non RSD records filling up our racks! There will be a separate register just for those purchases, so you don't have to wait in line all over again. Why do we do it this way?! Mostly because we don't want anyone to get trampled. This is what we have found to be not only the most organized way to do this, but also the fairest.
- The day after RSD we will post a list of all remaining pieces and only at that point will we take phone or email orders, or hold these titles for customers.
- For the week of Record Store Day, used purchasing is temporary suspended to dedicate time and space to processing all the RSD titles and setting up the event.
If you still have any other questions about RSD or what's happening in our store that day, please feel free to call, email, facebook, tweet or just good ol' fashioned stop by and we'll be happy to answer them! Also don't forget to join our Facebook Event for the day where we post all kinds of updates as we get them, or join our email list below and we'll send our menu directly to your inbox when it's ready!